History

In 1953, Valerian F. Szal along with his wife Florence (Drost) Szal founded the Valerian F. Szal Funeral Home

located on the corner of Helen and Ella Streets in the “Bottoms” area of McKees Rocks. The building purchased was originally the Bank of McKees Rocks. After remodeling the old bank, Val and Flo opened the funeral home in December of 1953. During the next 50 years, Val & Flo purchased adjacent properties which allowed them to expand their facilities and add a sizable parking area, which is now the current funeral home.

Val & Flo had three children, Florence (Sissy), Valerian (Brother) and the youngest Marcel. Marcel went on to earn his Funeral Directing License in 1977 and worked along side his father for the next 20 years. In 1993, Sissy’s son, Val’s grandson, Michael P. Ferrell, earned his Funeral Directing License.

The Valerian F. Szal Funeral Home officially incorporated in 1993 and was purchased by Michael in 1997. Michael is currently the owner and supervisor of the funeral home on Helen Street.